Published September 22, 2012 | 1:39 pm
Toronto: Nader Fawzy, an unemployed single father who lives with his three children, has been living in fear this week, anxious on the streets of his Scarborough neighbourhood, cautious driving his car, vigilant even in the lobby of his highrise.
His troubles started after the Egyptian government issued a arrest warrant against him and holds him partly responsible for the sacrilegious video regarding Islam’s Prophet Muhammad that has led to violence across globe.
Egypt’s prosecutor general has included Fawzy and fellow Egyptian-born Canadian Jacques Attalla on a list of people he says were involved with the film’s production, promotion and distribution.
Attalla, a Montreal resident and Nader Fawzy claimed that they had nothing to do with the video.
The 14-minute trailer, called Innocence of Muslims, met with violent protests last week after a version dubbed in Arabic was posted on YouTube.The film is Produced and directed in California by Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, who U.S. authorities believe used the alias Sam Bacile.
The two Canadian say they fear for their and their family’s safety after being accused of playing a role in the notorious anti-Islam film .
Fawzy said his name appeared in a published list of people involved in the film, an action he says amounts to a fatwa, or religious edit and he believes the Egyptian government put his name on the list out of revenge for his work as a Coptic activist.